Tuesday, September 27, 2011

In the shadow of Yankee Stadium

I should tell you that I'm Puerto Rican.  My parents came to the US in the early 50's.  Most people think of Lady Liberty  when they talk about people comming to the United States.

                                                   

Not PRs... the Bronx is the Motherland away from the Motherland. 


                                             

Like all good Puerto Ricans my parents went to the Bronx, along with ALL of my aunts and uncles.  Later Mom and Dad moved to Long Island.  The rest of the family stayed in the Bronx where all things Puerto Rican could be found; language,  food, TV and of course sports.   Football and soccer are not important sports in Puerto Rico.  I truly doubt that a lacrosse team exists on the island let alone a hockey rink.  But baseball, now you are talkin'.   So you can imagine how excited my brothers were to be spending the summers at my aunt's apartment in THE BRONX.  Sure, all those other kids from Long Island got to go to summer camp.  They swam, camped, had fresh air.  We got to spend the summer in the shadow of Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.   This was the house that Ruth built.  Not the homage to capitalism built by Steinbrenner
                                                        


It was also the 60's.  The time of some Yankee greats like Mikey Mantel , Yogi Berra and his famous quotes like "If you see a fork in the road, take it" and "The towels were so thick I could hardly close my suite case.  And let' not forget Roger Maris and his 61 hits. 

                                   

Years later.......

With all that history you can imaging how happy my brother was to give his youngest nephew an cute little blue baseball jacket with the Yankee emblem on it.  The one I put on my little boy the day we went to  visit the Children's Museum in Boston, Massachusetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment