Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The curse of the what?

With all of this baseball knowledge you might think I like baseball.  I do not.   Baseball to me is like watching paint dry.  Baseball was just the white noise in the background of my childhood.  I did not know the name of any baseball team, leagues or what a pennant race was.

That was when my husband, the guy who stayed in the Needham Sheraton while I schlepped the kids up from Jersey, told me about the Curse of the Bambino.    I had no idea what he was talking about.   For those of you who are in the same boat I was in, here is a quick run down.  The story goes that after the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees in 1919 they began their 86 year dry spell.  The Yankees, on the other hand, went from a not so great team to what is known in these parts as the Evil Empire.
I had just one question
"You mean you just moved me to a state where the people believe their baseball team is cursed?"   His one word answer, "Yup".

Yes, I had been transferred to a place where litttle boys wearing Yankee baseball jackets were subject to rude remarks and the people making those remarks believed their baseball club was cursed.  
You cannot make this stuff up.

Times have changed.  I no longer sign my christmas cards Still in exile.   I know the name of the Massachusetts baseball team is the Boston Red Sox and the curse has been lifted.  My son has long become a die hard Red Sox fan and cannot BELIEVE I ever put a Yankee jacket on him .  Although I still try to know as little about baseball as I possibly can.  However, that is pretty hard when you've lived in a place for 19 years where baseball is life and it's name is The Boston Red Sox.



Take me out to the ballgame on PhotoPeach

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I love this page Janette! It is interesting to me and I love reading about your life. Great job!!!
    ;) Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete